Welcome to the Passivhaus Tradesperson Course ONLY, the independent learning option designed for students who prefer studying at their own pace using course recordings. This course is ideal for individuals with ample time, flexibility, and a preference for independent study.
Please note that the exam is not included in this course.
Our teaching modules are divided into 4 mini units, each under 30 minutes, allowing you to complete the Passive House Tradesperson course one 30-minute unit at a time. This flexible structure accommodates a busy lifestyle, enabling you to balance your daily work commitments with your Passive House learning journey.
Here's a glimpse into the course structure:
Module 01 - Building Envelope: Learn about Passive House principles, sustainable construction and design, and more.
Module 02 - Windows and Ventilation: Discover how to install windows, manage shading, and set up systems for fresh air and heat recovery.
Module 03 - Build-ups, Details, and Conditioning: Understand how to construct different types of buildings, connect different parts, and set up systems to keep the house warm or cool.
Module 04 - Retrofit and Certification: Learn about upgrading old buildings to make them more energy-efficient and the process of achieving Passive House certification.
Enroll in the Passivhaus Tradesperson Course ONLY today and take the first step towards becoming a certified Passivhaus professional. Together, we can build a greener, more sustainable future.
Embark on a learning journey that unveils the core of Passive House principles, covering the following topics:
Passive House Basics
- Overview of Passivhaus principles and certification
- Health and comfort considerations
- Systems and strategies for managing shading
- Economics of Passivhaus design and construction; cost and risk reduction
- Quality assurance and building certification
- Sustainable construction and design
Building Envelope Specialisation
- Airtightness, vapour and weather-control systems
- Materials and approaches for creating the thermal envelope
- Construction detailing and systems
- Retrofitting of old buildings
- The components and installation of windows
Building Services Specialisation
- Systems and strategies for ventilation and heat-recovery
- The components of heat-recovery ventilation systems
- Design and sizing of heat-recovery ventilation systems
- Techniques and strategies for managing heating and cooling
- The use and optimisation of domestic hot water systems
- Designs and solutions to address thermal bridging
This is an on demand course and can be undertaken at any time.
• Immediate full access to the recordings on the SPA learning hub
• Flipbook access to the training material
Inclusion list of the Passivhaus Tradesperson Course ONLY:
• PDFs of all exam-relevant homework, exercises, and summaries
• PDF of the SPA’s Passivhaus tools and formula booklet for tradesperson
• PDFs of additional reading materials and resources
• Personalised ‘certification of participation’ and assessment for your CPDs, which covers 12 hours of formal education
• Exam NOT included
• This course is specifically designed for people working in the construction sector, including builders, site supervisors, carpenters, bricklayers, electricians, plumbers, window installers and thermal insulation installers.
• This course is suitable for owner-builders wanting to learn more about Passivhaus. However, sitting the final exam is not recommended or necessary for individuals who do not plan to work in the building sector.
What do you need for this course?
This course is conducted remotely with students participating and accessing study materials via the internet. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they have an adequate data connection. Speeds of 4 MBPS are required for the online course and 16 MBPS are required for the final online exam.
Students need to supply their own PC or Mac computer with web camera and microphone capabilities. Other materials required include a scientific calculator.
It is recommended that students have coloured pens, post-it notes and a notepad at hand.